Super Chef Salad

     As the temperature continues to hold at around 105 degrees, my thoughts are turning to a nice, cool salad. Today's Daily Plate features a chef salad made from fresh Romaine lettuce, cucumber, hard boiled egg, sliced scallions, red and yellow tomatoes, shredded carrots, diced nitrite-free ham and gruyere cheese. It was a delicious and cool supper for the mid summer heat.
 Super Chef Salad

     On the photography front, tonight's photo, in my humble opinion, is getting closer to the quality I'm looking for. I used a large mirror to bounce light back in to the right side of the photo. This removed the heavy shadows from an 8 p.m. harsh sun. The learning and practicing continues.

Comments

  1. I will agree salad is a good choice when it is very hot during the summer. But, I have a question. What is gruyere cheese and what does it taste like? Is it a healthier choice than other cheeses?
    very nice photo!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment and question. Gruyere is a soft, yellow-white cheese that has a bit of a nutty flavor in my opinion. The kind I use most often is a smoked cheese, so it also adds smokey flavor to a dish. If by "healthy" you mean lower calorie or lower fat, no it is not. But, because it has such a nice smokey flavor, a little bit goes a long way. I find that less than an ounce of cheese is plenty for a salad, so I use less cheese and have fewer calories that way.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Adobo Pork Loin Chops

Chicken Breasts with Lime Herb Butter

Tex Mex Chicken